The holotype specimen's (MUCPv-Ch1) skeleton was about 70% complete and included the skull, pelvis, leg bones and most of the backbone. It is estimated around 12-13 m (40-43 ft) in length. A second specimen (MUCPv-95), 8% larger, has also been recovered. This largest Giganotosaurus specimen is estimated to represent an individual 14 m (about 46 ft) long that weighed 8 tons. Giganotosaurus might have had the longest known skull for a theropod dinosaur, with the holotype's skull estimated at 2 m (6.6 feet) although a recent reconstruction by Scott Hartman has reduced to 1.6-1.76 meters. Giganotosaurus may have surpassed Tyrannosaurus in length, but Tyrannosaurus outweighed Giganotosaurus because of the extra muscle-mass.Giganotosaurus lived in Argentina alongside with Argentinosaurus and several other giant sauropods. Its close relatives from the same continent Tyrannotitan and Mapusaurus, and was also closely related to Carcharodontosaurus in Africa. It was the descendant of Allosaurus from the Jurassic period.
In Popular CultureEdit
- Giganotosaurus appears in the Walking With Dinosaurs Special: Chased By Dinosaurs: Land Of The Giants. They are seen to hunt both independently and in packs, working together to bring down an Argentinosaurus.
- Giganotosaurus is also featured in the IMAX movie Dinosaurs- Giants Of Patagonia where Dr. Rodolfo Coria shows the sites of major discoveries in Argentina.
- A Giganotosaurus also makes an appearance in an episode of the ITV drama Primeval where it rampages at an airport and eats Nigel Marven.
- It also appeared in Dino Crisis 2 at an exaggerated size and shown to throw an adult Tyrannosaurus.
- A Giganotosaurus appears in The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island.
- Giganotosaurus appears in Prehistoric Monsters Revealed.
- Giganotosaurus Also stars in When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth: Beyond T-Rex.