Carcharodontosaurus is a genus of Carcharodontosaurid dinosaur named after its long sharp teeth with their deadly serrations like a shark. The very name Carcharodontosaurus means Shark Toothed Lizard.
DescriptionEditCarcharodontosaurus was the third largest carnivorous dinosaur after Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus, pushing Tyrannosaurus down into fourth. This enormas carnivore measured 11.1-13.5 metres from nose to tail and had huge jaws lined with long serated teeth. The legs of Carcharodontosaurus were long and muscular and fossilised trackways indicate that it could run at speeds of up to 20MPH . Although there is still dispute over whether it di or not. Compared to coelurosaurian theropods and birds the size of the cerebrum relative to the total brain was small. Making Carcharodontosaurus less inteligent than other predators like Tyrannosaurus.
In Popular CultureEdit
- Carcharodontosaurus appears in monsters ressurected and is wrongly depicted as losing to spinosaurus when really carcharodontosaurus would have won as it was more formidable and had a much more deadly bite than spinosaurus.
- Carcharodontosaurus appears in two episodes of BBC's Planet Dinosaur where it fights a spinosaurus for a ouranosaurus carcass and has a tug of wag with a sarcosuchus over a juvinile paralititan.
- Carcharodontosaurus is featured in jurassic park operation genisis.
- In Dinosaur Planet Carcharodontosaurus is incorrectly shown to live in South Anmerica and hunted saltosaurus. In fact it lived in Africa and hunted animals like paralititan and ouranosaurus.
- A Carcharodontosaurus appears in the Ashlym film 100 Million B.C.